Today I’m presenting a creamy pasta recipe with artichokes and wild mushrooms. These ingredients have quite a distinctive flavor that greatly enhances my pasta recipe.
Before baking the pasta, I roast the wild mushrooms until they are slightly brown. Roasted mushrooms lend a crispy and earthy flavor. Similarly, artichokes provide depth and richness to the taste.
The artichoke is the bud of thistle – a flower. It is common in Italian cooking. Artichokes can be steamed, fried, or baked. They are delicious and low in carbs. In my recipe, I use canned preserved artichoke rather than fresh ones.
- 1 pound farfalle or fusilli pasta
- 1 cup red onions, thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnishing
- 1 can (8- ounce) artichoke, drained and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1-pound mixed wild mushrooms (oyster, shiitake or maitake), trim and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes, plus more for garnishing
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup goat cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup crispy golden fried onions
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (2 tablespoons for cooking pasta, and 1 tablespoon for baking mushrooms)
Boil pasta with salt until it is fully cooked. Drain and reserve 1 cup of water. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss the mushrooms with olive oil, black pepper and salt. Spread them on a large baking sheet and roast until they turn golden brown. Set aside.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions until softened. Then add garlic until it gets fragrant. Quickly add turmeric powder, chili flakes, and a tablespoon of water. Stir rapidly for 1-2 minutes until all the spices are infused.
In a large bowl, add 1 cup of reserved pasta water, goat cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and cream cheese. Mix together until smooth. Then toss artichokes, mushrooms, golden fried onions, black pepper, mozzarella cheese, and parsley.
Combine the cheese mixture with the cooked pasta. Mix well, adjust the salt, and bake for 10-15 minutes until the pasta turns brown. Serve baked pasta with chili flakes and parsley.